Ok so I am sure I am not the only parent out there who has this question, HOW DO YOU TEACH YOUR CHILD TO NOT BE A FOLLOWER? at least I hope I am not the only parent because then this would be pretty embrassing :) I have just been noticing latley that kaden will say to me"well mom so and so is doing it" but he is not wearing his helmet" mom go away I am with my friends"
So as any parent would naturally do is WORRY! I tell him all the time to not worry about what other kids do, but do what he has been taught, but I am not so sure he really understands me.
Why is it that when kids get older they don't think they need to set the example for those that are younger by wearing helmets and not riding their bikes in the street and maybe having a little more respect for parents.
Kaden does good sometimes, but I feel like I am always yelling his name and getting mad at him because he just does not LISTEN. So I was wondering what you have experinced with your kids and what you think might help.... I can't help but worry when he gets into kindergarten and older grades how will he respond to other kids choices? What kind of things can I do better to help him now? Of course it is only natural that a parent worries about their kids, a few times I just notice that what I have been teaching him has gone in one ear and out the other.... are kids really born with ears? (I wonder sometimes) well i better go for now, I would love to hear your thoughts.... Until next time....
3 comments:
I worry about this, too, and unfortunately, all of our kids are going to make some bad choices. Sucks, huh? With Adam, when he says, "But so and so gets to..." I just remind him that I am not so and so's mom, and that in our family these are the rules. I try to remind him why we have the rules, too. That's not to say that if I wasn't there that he'd automatically stick to our family's rules, but you just have to do your best to teach them and then let them make their own choices.
Emma hasn't started with the "So and So is doing it" YET, but I know it's coming. I don't think you are alone in your worry, I believe that any parent, mum or dad, who loves there children is bound to worry, and I think it's natural that we want or kids to be polite, respectful, and responsible. I don't have any words of advice or wisdoom to share, sorry. But your post has made me think about how I might handle the situation should it arise. Thanks!
PS Your picture CD is ready! Thanks for being so patient!
I just have adapted the phrase "So and So has different rules then our family" It helps them to understand that yes their friends might be doing it but in our family we behave or do things differently. Just be casual in conversation. Always bring up the reason why the rules are in place. Hopefully it will get to the point where they'll choose to follow it w/o fighting it.
Post a Comment